What is Google Page Rank?
Google indexes billions of pages daily, but for a particular keyword it has to rank all the indexed pages in a row, that’s what we call the search results. Before indexing, Google crawls a page & decides what the page is all about and thereby ranks page based on its importance & relevance of the keywords. Now it becomes easy for Google to show the results & rank your page on SERP. To know more about google page rank, keep reading this article till the end.
Now, what is Google PageRank?
The algorithm used by Google for positioning of a website on the Search Engine Result Page is known as PageRank. It was developed by the founders of Google, Larry Page & Sergey Brin. The significance of a website is evaluated by PageRank. Whenever someone googles something online, the SERP shows them the most relevant high-quality content. This content is as per the user’s search terms. This page ranking algorithm is one of the over 200+ google factors when it comes to ranking web pages. However, this is not the only considering factor when deciding page rank by Google there are other factors too but undisclosed by Google.
For a clear understanding of the importance of PageRank let’s take a small example. Suppose if you want to rent a car in Mumbai. So if you search for the car rentals on Google you will see the following page:
So, above you can see that Google displays paid advertisements at the top, then it will show up the organic results for your query. Google decides which pages should be displayed based on the rank of the website. This is why it is important to rank high in Google SERP for increasing your business.
Google PageRank in-depth:
The Google PageRank ranks web pages on a scale of 1 to 10 wherein 0 is the least, 10 being the highest & n/a being not yet ranked by Google. That’s what it is in a nutshell. The quality & quantity of links to a webpage determines a relative score of that page’s importance and authority on a scale of 0 to 10. A handful of websites have a perfect score of 10. So, if your website consists of better PageRank, your website will appear on the first page of the search result.
Now, if you want to find out the Google PageRank of your website, it’s not possible as Google has stopped sharing the page ranks with the webmaster tool. Many users were under the impression that getting backlinks was the only way to get better ranking in SERP, but there are many other factors too, unfortunately, they remain undisclosed by Google.
Remember: PageRank is an important ingredient in Google’s ranking algorithm.
Why is Google PageRank important?
When one page links to another page, it is effectively casting a vote for another page. A high PageRank doesn’t guarantee high rankings but it can significantly help. The better the PageRank, the more visibility of your website which means there are more chances of users entering your site and more organic traffic.
Factors affecting Google PageRank:
Google Page Ranking is given by Google to a particular website based on a few factors. Here are a few of them-
- Improve your website’s user experience- If your website is easy and enjoyable to use and offers valuable information, you will get more visitors who will stay longer on your site and visit more pages. This indeed would help improve your search rank.
- Get more backlinks– Backlinks i.e. the links from other sites to yours are one of the most important factors in Google ranking. Incoming links to your website content from high-authority domains show your site’s authority and bring in traffic as well as improve your search ranking.
- Fix broken links– Having quality links on your website is one of the best ways to boost traffic and establish the authority of your site.
- Optimize images– This is crucial in boosting the speed of your site and making it easier for Google to identify the images on your web pages. Therefore you should make sure all your website images are compressed. Have descriptive filenames, and include alt text.
- Good content for SEO optimization– having good content is always a must for increasing the users and with the help of SEO, you can get it optimized and improve your overall search rank.
Therefore keeping in mind the above factors you can improve the overall ranking and performance of your website.